Discover all the inspiration you need for Mother’s Day gift ideas here, from gift baskets, DIY gift ideas, pre-made bundles, low-cost ways to celebrate Mother’s Day, gift ideas from Amazon and more, to celebrate all Mum means to you.
Introduction – Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
There was a time mum was packing the hospital bag, ready for your impending birth. It’s time to let mum know how much she is loved and how much you appreciate everything she does. No two Mums are the same, each is special and unique with different likes. Your mum may love the outdoors, shopping, new clothes, a spa day, or pictures and words from those she holds dear. Whatever mum loves, we have an idea just for her that will make her smile and feel the love.
Mother’s Day gift ideas that are the most thoughtful and heartfelt are the most meaningful. You could decide to go all out and really spoil mom with a gorgeous gift basket or that gift she has had sitting in the Amazon cart that always gets bumped to the “save for later” list or tackle a Do-it-yourself project made with your own two hands. Look no further, this list has it all!
Finding the perfect Mother’s Day gift for your mum may be hard when there are so many ways to show your love and appreciation. Our mums do so much for us and there is so much to be thankful for. The truth is, all your mum needs on Mother’s Day is that reminder that she is doing a good job, so no matter what gift you choose, it will be perfect because you are taking the time to not only think about her but to acknowledge her and show how much she means to you. That token of love and appreciation can mean the world, no matter how big or how small the gesture is.
What are some DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas?
DIY Mother’s Day gifts are thoughtful, meaningful, and unique to you! These gift ideas are perfect for children as they use cost-efficient materials and capture their age and creativity at a precious age.
Footprint Garden Stepping Stone For the Gardening Mum
If your mum loves to be outdoors, working hard in the garden, these memorable garden stepping stones are perfect for a Mother’s day gift. This Mother’s Day present is one that will add charm and personality to the garden space or home as decoration while capturing a moment in time, in stone. This gift can be done with a handprint, footprint, or any desired ornaments.
To make a garden stepping stone you will need:
- Moulds (Round Aluminum pie tin, plastic tray, saucers etc, etc.)
- Plastic Drop Sheet or Tarp to contain the mess
- Plastic Wrap
- Flyscreen cutting slightly smaller than the mould
- Concrete mix
- Assorted decorations (jewels, buttons, flowers, etc)
1. Set up the workspace. Lay down your drop sheet. Set out the plastic moulds. Mix up the concrete according to the directions on the package. Time to move on to the fun part.
2. Scoop your concrete mixture into the chosen mould. Fill the mould about halfway and lay some fly screen. This will help keep it from crumbling apart as it dries, and strengthens the stepping stone. Remember to have the screen cut slightly smaller than the mould so no edges are sticking out.
3. Add another layer of the concrete mixture to the mould so that it is full. This is where you can add your hand or footprint and decorations. Then let it dry for up to a week before taking it out of the mould. If you remove it too soon from the mould, it will fall apart.
4. Once it is thoroughly dry you could add some more personality to it with some colorful paint. Once it has been painted you will want to seal the stone with a clear acrylic, this will help seal and protect the paint.
Herb Garden for the Culinary Mum
If your Mum is always cheffing up amazing home-cooked meals and enjoys cooking then a DIY Glass Jar Herb Garden is a perfect Mother’s Day present that she will love and enjoy for a long time! These little indoor herb gardens are perfect to hang in the kitchen near a sunny spot for a year-round supply of fresh and fragrant herbs. Follow these easy DIY steps:
- Jam Jars (3 or 4)
- Heavy Duty Stainless Hose Clamp
- Wooden Board (long enough to fit jars)
- Indoor potting soil
- Rocks or Gravel for drainage
- Herbs of Choice (Basil, Chives,Thyme, etc)
- Hammer, nails, Screw
1. Get out all of your supplies. Then lay out the board to attach the clamps to the board. To open a slit on the clamp, you could hammer a nail into one of the slits, which will then force the clamp to open and then easily be screwed to the wooden board.
2. Screw the clamps to the board
3. Add some rocks to the bottom of the jar for drainage and then top with potting soil
4. Add your plant of choice and add more potting soil around the plant.
5. Hold the jar in place and tighten the clamp around the jar securely. Repeat these steps for the remaining jars and herbs and you are ready to give one of the best Mother’s Days gift ideas for the culinary mum!
Handprint Picture and Message
If you are looking for a sweet and sentimental DIY Mother’s Day gift idea that is simple yet thoughtful, then a Poem and handprint Picture is perfect! Mum will never forget the size of her children’s hands with a handprint and poem.
- Printed Poem
- Washable & Non-Toxic Tempera Paint
- Picture Frame
1. Print up your selected poem or use one of these from kidspot.com
2. Paint your child’s hands and place hands on the paper so the poem is still legible
3. Sign and Date
4. Let dry thoroughly and add to the frame
5. Wrap and Gift!
My Handprint Poem
Here is my handprint
Five fingers in all
Outside they are short, but the middle is tall.
You will find them on windows,
You can find them on the wall,
They will make a big mess,
For someone so small.
One day I will grow,
And leave them no more,
My handprints will be missed,
Of that I am sure.
So here is one now,
That you can’t wipe away.
My present to you,
This Mother’s Day.UNKNOWN
Homemade Sugar Scrub for the Sweetest Mum
An easy and sensible DIY Mother’s Day Gift idea that utilizes items you may have right at home in the pantry is a sweet-smelling sugar scrub. Sugar scrubs are easy to make and low-cost compared to the store-bought options. To make your own sugar scrub you will need:
- 2 Cups Organic Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 cup of a firm but soft Base Oil (Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Jojoba oil, etc, etc)
- High Quality Essential Oil of choice or Citrus Zest, herbs for scent (a few drops)
- Food Processer (optional)
- Small Jar or container with lid for scrub
- Cute tag or Label for Mum
Super simple steps:
1. Mix the sugar, oil and choice of scented essential oil, zest or herbs until creamy (or shortly blend in a food processor – if the mix separates, place in the freezer for a few minutes until it solidifies again)
2. Store in container of choice and add a customized label made just for your Mother’s Day gift.
Monogram Letters Collage Sign
An adorable and decorative Mother’s Day gift idea that doubles as decoration for years to come is Monogram letters for M-U-M. There are a couple of ways you could go about personalizing these letters. You could have the kids paint and embellish the letters or fill them with family pictures. It is a guarantee she will love this DIY Mother’s Day present. To make the Mother’s Day photo collage sign, you will need these supplies:
- Wooden Monogram Letters (M.U.M. / M.O.M.)
- Printed Photos
- Wood Stain
- Foam Paint Brush
- Razor Knife
- Mod Podge
- Craft Glue
- Paper Flowers (optional)
1. Gather your materials and apply the wood stain to the Letters and let dry
2. Cut apart your photos and leave a small white border around them to make the photo stand out. You could leave no white border on the photos to make the Monogram letters stand out more.
3. Arrange your photos as desired on the letters
4. After your photo placement is decided, it is time to glue them on. Apply a light coat of Mod Podge to the wood under the photo and place the photo back in place. Press it down and smooth out any air bubbles.
5. Next, trim off any photos hanging off the side of the letters with a razor knife.
6. Finally, apply a very thin and light coat of Mod Podge over the remaining photos and any exposed wood to create a seal and protect the photos. Another option would be to use a spray-on clear coat to seal the pictures. If so desired, add your paper flowers or other embellishments to your letters with the craft glue. This is a good idea if there are any bare spots on the wood you wish to cover.
7. Let your Mother’s Day gift dry thoroughly. These can be stand-alone letters that can be hung on the wall, or you could mount them on a flat frame, attach to a flat piece of wood and attach a ribbon or leave them just as they are. This is a gift that Mum will love and cherish for years to come.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas From Amazon
It is proven that laughter helps us all to lead longer and happier lives. With all that Mum puts up with, a little bit of laughter can go a long way. That is why a Funny Mother’s Day Candle might just be the ideal Mother’s Day Gift idea yet. It is a simple gift that will bring a lovely aroma and laughter.
We all know it is important to stay hydrated and get in your daily water intake. Mom life is busy, and it can be hard to remember to take the time to hydrate, at least until this Mother’s Day when Mum’s gift is a personalized steel tumbler! You can personalize these with photos of all of her children, favourite quotes, sayings or poems. This Mother’s Day gift idea will quench her thirst and remind her of your love with every drink.
This Mother’s Day treat Mum with a one of a kind present that captures the love of her family etched in a 3D glass block. Place your order using Mum’s favorite family photo. These Personalized Crystal Photo Blocks are stunning and illuminated by an LED light to really focus on the picture. This Mother’s Day gift is made to capture those precious moments with superb artistry and clarity, one that Mum will proudly display for years to come.
There is really something special about Willow Tree Figurines as a Mother’s Day gift. They are made with such a beautiful artistry and capture those special moments in life. They embody motherly sentiments and celebrate new beginnings, family life and so much more. If you are looking for a Mother’s Day Gift idea that will touch her heart, this is a great option!
Wrap Mum in all the love and good family memories with a personalized throw blanket. This is a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift idea that can be a decorative addition to the bedroom, hung as a tapestry or used every day.
Mum/Child Sterling Silver Necklace
This necklace one is affordable, it’s sterling silver and it embodies the love between a mother and her child. This necklace (and many others that are similar) is thoughtful, tasteful and won’t break the budget.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas From Husband / Partner
One of the best and most inexpensive Mother’s Day gift ideas is the ‘Reasons why I love you’ Jar. Everyone needs those reminders now and again, and these notes will last for years to come. Whenever Mum needs that extra encouragement, all she needs is to reach into the jar and pull out a note. All you need for this gift idea is:
- A Jar with a lid
- Label for Jar
- 100 Reasons Why I love You statements, Cut out separately, rolled up into scrolls
Give the gift of a rose that lasts with a Forever Rose Gift Box. Many options are available. This Mother’s Day gift idea screams elegance and sophistication for a classy wife and Mother.
If the budget is tight, but she deserves a spa day, then take matters into your own hands and surprise her with an at-home Spa Day. First, set the mood with some relaxing music, some candles and maybe a new robe and slippers. Then, pamper her with a deep condition, foot massage, full body massage and more! These acts of love and service will help her feel extra loved and spoiled by the man she loves the most.
Mum is always making time for everyone else, it may be hard to get her to slow down and take time for herself. What better way to do that than to get her out on the Harbour on a Cruise made for two! The Sydney Harbour Cruise includes a lovely 3-course lunch and a fabulous view of the sights with personalized service.
Another great Mother’s Day gift idea is homemade coupons! These coupons can apply to almost anything to help Mum out. Simply type (or handwrite) your coupons and present them to her in a wrapped box or envelope she can pull from as needed. Here are some examples of what to write on your coupons (redeemable at any time.) You could also check out some pre-made options.
- I (husband/partner) will do the dishes for a week
- One free foot massage
- Free Hugs
- Planned weekly menu (and cooked)
- One Free Breakfast in bed
- One Car wash
- Date Night: Mum’s Choice
Kids First Aid online course
Here’s a unique idea – do the Kids First Aid online course together! Learn how to deal with the 10 most common emergencies involving children so you can both build your confidence and competence together when it comes to unexpected emergencies!
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas – What can I put in a Mother’s Day basket/hamper?
Assembling your own Mother’s Day Basket creates a personalized present tailored specifically for Mum. The options on what to put in a Mother’s Day basket are almost endless! If only you could fit everything Mum loves in one basket. To make it easier we have collected a few ideas for a themed basket, however, you could also fill your basket with a collection of Mum’s favourite snacks, accessories and comfort items to really make her feel special. To add an extra touch for presentation, once the basket is assembled, add some ribbons, bows, and (or) shrink gift wrap to keep it all together and uniform.
Mother’s Day Gift Basket Idea for a Spa Theme:
Mum’s Favourite perfume
New fuzzy bathrobe
Assorted bath bombs or shower steamers
Mother’s Day Gift Basket Idea for a Snack Loving Mum
Mum’s Favourite Lollies
Nice Snack Bowl
Mother’s Day Gift Basket Idea for a Gardening Mum:
Nice gardening gloves
Small shovel and other accessories
Mother’s Day Gift Basket Idea for the Coffee Loving Mum:
Whole coffee beans
Personalized coffee cup
Assorted Creamers or syrups
Mother’s Day Gift Basket Idea for the New Mum
Mum’s favourite reading material
Tea bags & Infuser
Bottle of Wine
Encouraging notes or Book
Low-Cost Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day
A Mother’s Day celebration does not have to be expensive or extravagant to be special. There are ways to enjoy the day and still make it memorable and focus on Mum, without breaking the bank. Here is a list of budget-friendly ways to celebrate Mother’s Day:
- Family Outing or Picnic
- Movie Night
- Family Game Night
- Mother’s Day Potluck and Game Night
- Clean the house for Mum
- Make Mum breakfast in bed
- Watch family home videos together
- Camping (outing or in the yard)
- Go hiking with Mum
- Crafts at home
- Go for a bush walk together
- Let Mum Sleep in
- Give Mum a Self Care Day (no chores allowed)
- Make Mum Dinner or take her out (and clean up after)
- Photoshoot with Mum
- Take a Yoga class together
- Paint and sip Event
- Go see a band
- At home spa-day
20 more Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
If your first plan doesn’t work out or just in case you are looking for a little more inspiration here are 20 more Mother’s Day Gift Ideas! Mum deserves the best for all she does and to be able to spend the day with those she loves the most.
If your Mum likes to keep preserved flowers, or keep dried flower arrangements long after live flowers have curled up this is a great Mother’s Day Gift Idea. The pre-dried flowers are made from premium dried flowers and arranged beautifully and packaged attractively. There are other accessories to add on to your package as well such as chocolates, cookies or coffee beans.
Treat your Mum to beautifully packaged delicacies such as donuts and Strawberries and other sweet treats, presented in a quality box and speedy delivery. If Chocolates are not Mum’s forte there are various other options by Edible Blooms such as a Red Wine box and more.
This personalized Dear Mummy book is one that she will cherish forever from the children. Personalize your own story made just for Mum and fill in the details with your own. It might be a gift that makes Mum cry, but only happy tears.
Every Mum needs A Mum Tee-Shirt, they just may not know it! Find the perfect one for your Mum on Etsy, customized just for her. There are lots of funny, serious and sentimental Tees to choose from! This is a practical gift with personality!
Save Mum a trip to the grocery store and get them delivered straight to her door with Hello Fresh or Marley Spoon or another meal kit company. Mum will definitely appreciate this gift.
Gift Mum a Personalized Apron this Mother’s Day. No more grease splatters during food prep staining her nice top. This is a gift that keeps on giving.
Mum deserves to have fashionable and functional footwear. This year for Mother’s Day gift Mum with a new pair of Australian made Ugg boots. With the variety of colour and design choices, there is certainly one perfect for her!
- A Bee Hotel for the Nature Enthusiast Mum
A bee hotel for the nature-loving, gardening Mum is a thoughtful gift for both Mum and the environment. Her eco-friendly vibes will be thrilled with such a thoughtful gift and the plants will be too!
Mum deserves a relaxing bath, even if it is at home. Gift Mum with a bamboo bathtub caddy where she can sit back and soak in the bubbles, read a book and enjoy a glass of wine or cup of tea.
If your Mum spends a lot of time in the kitchen, then an engraved cutting board is a lovely gift this year.
Treat your Mum to a day at SEA LIFE in Sydney on Mother’s Day where she is the guest of honour and free admission! All Mums qualify for the special savings with each child’s admission. Explore underwater tunnels and sea creatures while creating happy memories together!
If your Mum loves the theater or ballet, an outing to the Sydney Opera House would be a fabulous gift this year. Mother’s Day weekend there will be special performances such as Counterpointe Ballet.
Laughter makes everything better, and what better way to celebrate Mother’s Day with Mum than to take her to the Sydney Comedy Festival! There are various acts to choose from and an open schedule between April and May in case the weekend of Mother’s Day turns out busier than anticipated.
Gift Mum with a different kind of gift box this year with the Waffle Brunch Gift Box by Harry and David. This delectable gift box is packed full of a variety of waffles, a streusel loaf cake, preserves and more!
The gift of a birthstone necklace is something every Mum needs in her jewellery collection. The beautiful necklaces are filled with birthstone gems representing each child. The interlocking heart design by Eve’s Addiction is a stunning choice and includes free shipping!
If your Mum is one to plan hiking, camping and outdoor adventures then this is one gift idea she will be truly thankful for this Mother’s Day. A Lifestraw is a personal water filter ideal for emergency preparedness and thinking ahead. Clean water is a necessity and Mum will never be without it out in the wilderness!
Is Mum tired of water stains on the table or countertop? If so, then these customized photo coasters are the perfect gift this year for Mum. This kind of Mother’s Day gift idea is thoughtful, practical and sentimental. Upload some of Mum’s favourite family photos and select from a set of 4 up to 10! Mum will be forever grateful.
Maybe Mum has a little bit of everything and the gift hunt has been hard. Look no further, this customized piece of Art will light up her smile and fill her heart with all the feels! Bespoke Art’s Customized Happiness design is a winning Mother’s Day present idea. Choose words that make Mum happy, such as her children’s names, (naturally) favourite colour, favourite smell, favourite phrase, etc, etc. Inspire Mum as she has inspired you with the happiness canvas!
You can spoil mum with a Spa Day – that could be a facial, a massage, a pedicure, body scrub, or all of the above! Endota have many locations across Australia. There are also many other places you can book in spa or beauty treatments.
This is my favourite! I was gifted a horse riding experience once and I absolutely LOVED doing this with my son, Andy in the Glenworth Valley. There are many places you can do this across the country but Glenworth Valley is so beautiful and will make a memorable experience.
Bonus Round – 25 more quick & easy Mother’s Day gift ideas
- Nice lunch/dinner at a restaurant
- Beauty products – hand cream, bath wash, make-up items
- Nice candle
- Stationery – note pad, nice pens, diary
- Pot plant
- Fruit basket
- Homemade muffins/cake/slice
- Gift voucher to her favourite store
- Magazine subscription
- Pay for dance classes/music classes/art classes
- New appliance (NOT a vaccuum cleaner – haha)
- Sunglasses or handbag
- Nice scarf
- Concert tickets
- Voucher for car wash
- Tea and new teapot
- Manchester – bed spread, blanket, cushions, towels
- Bluetooth speaker
- Wine glasses or coffee mugs
- Nice photo frame
- Earrings, necklace or bracelet
Mother’s Day may come once a year, but we can show our love and appreciation every day! No matter the gift, if you let your love and personality shine through she is going to love whatever you present. Money is not the matter, but instead, that it comes from the heart. Mum is at the centre of our heart, and she knows this best. Keep in mind how special Mum is, focus on making her feel special and work on bringing out that beautiful smile and of course enjoy the day, and every day after. Happy Mother’s Day to all the hard-working Mum’s out there!